Here’s the only response I got, from a lady named Sandi Brockway. She tells me to “educate myself”. I’m sure you’ll get the gist. She posted several messages for me.
Sandi Brockway: debra, thanks to ronald reagan there are are lots of mentally ill people out in the streets. clearly, that is what your friend enjoys filming. i have been posting the following because there is a much larger issue than exploiting the mentally ill and homeless as you are. You need to educate yourself more than hyou know. the homeless and mentally ill have been a huge huge challenge for this movement. in one city 80% of the participants are homeless. I suggest: I think it time we all become more clear regarding the core priority issues regarding our protests. Why? because a lot of right wing and other conspiracy extremists are beginning to coop our message, such as David Icke, Ron Paul, Alex Jones, etc. Some lead right to neo nazi propaganda regarding the Federal Reserve and Jewish Bankers, some of Hitler's favorite theories. Many of these people are actually trying to convince protesters they are on the wrong path or targeting the wrong solutions. It is clear from reading our draft of grievances and demands, that we have our own pragmatic solutions to our political quandaries and doubts. these other interests are seeking to divide us, misguide us, and dilute our best efforts here, as represented in this draft. 24 minutes ago · Like
Sandi Brockway: I should point out that these right wing conspiracy theories are of the similar kind which people like Buchanan has promoted. 23 minutes ago · Like
Sandi Brockway: they appeal to white supremicist. for instance, Icke, after seducing the New Age Libertarian sorts here, is not the poster child of an australian white supremicsts group. i can also turn you to youtube video, where top neo nazi sorts are owning him, but they just do not think he is as effective as other neo nazi sorts. nonetheless, he sadly bridged gap between pro gun, nazi and new age sorts here with his conspiracy crap. 20 minutes ago · Like
Sandi Brockway: deb, teh fact that these protesters are willing to wade thru this to make their point is actually a testament to their bravery and courage. just because you find a few mentally ill exhibitionists and a small peripheral band of neo nazis who were brought there by right wing conspiracy crap and Ron Paul, means really little compared to large picture. READ THE DECLARATION DRAFT and get clear. 18 minutes ago · Like
And yes, I will admit that my article was a bit intense, but the title itself even said, “The Ugly Side of OWS” - not all sides. I’m trying to understand how anyone can be taken seriously when it’s a three ring circus out there. Like the messages I received from Sandi - everyone is angry and very bitter - and rightfully so. But the thing that gets me is - they’re even fighting amongst one another. For instance, just to give an example - I refuse to go to any (LGBT) gay pride parades simply due to the fact that the ones who are out there topless, making sexual gestures and those who act like complete animals are making us all look bad as we beg for equal rights. Is it all of them? No. But, how can “we” be taken seriously - the ones who are genuinely seeking out equal rights, when right behind us, there are a bunch of barbaric animals having sex in the streets? If you build a forum for a free for all - it’s not going to be heard as well as a group of people in a designated area. With all the technology that we do have, my suggestion would be - bring in the serious ones - the ones who are legit with real issues and send them to a place where they can protest. Film it. Get Michael Moore if you can. Do whatever it takes to make them see you as human beings, not chaotic drug addicts looking for an opportunity to party. Hold a protest in a confined area: in your home, in a hall, in a place where it can be filmed and people can actually be interviewed one by one. I know it takes away from the entire concept of “occupying” Wall Street, but now these concerned citizens are sharing the streets with racists, drug addicts, the mentally ill, homeless people, drunks, topless women (yes, for some that’s a ‘perk’ if you will), and people who really don’t care at all. You have the means to get your message out there. Use them.
And for Sandi, I agree with everything the declaration stands for. That wasn’t what my article was about. It’s not that I disagree with the protest, I disagree with the nature of which it’s being presented.
I nodded my head, agreeing with every single reason why you are brave enough to be out there. I just wish you had better solutions to create a more peaceful environment.
A list of reasons through the declaration:
- They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
- They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
- They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.
- They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
- They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless animals, and actively hide these practices.
- They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.
- They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.
- They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.
- They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
- They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.
- They have sold our privacy as a commodity.
- They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.
- They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.
- They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.
- They have donated large sums of money to politicians, who are responsible for regulating them.
- They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
- They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives or provide relief in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantial profit.
- They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.
- They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.
- They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.
- They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.
- They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.
- They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.
For more of Deb's articles, please visit: www.debrapasquella.com